Treatment of urethral stricture
1. Follow up of the patient by the physician (required examinations and treatment based on symptoms): The patient is prescribed and periodically refer.
2. Dilation of urethral stricture with endoscopy or internal urethrotomy by laser: Which is done by a urologist and the patient is taken again to follow up. If symptoms persist, this procedure will be repeated if the stricture recurs the patient will be candidate for surgery.
3. Urethroplasty: There are several types.
- End to End urethroplasty in which case the stenosis is cut off during surgery, the stenosis is resected and the healthy sides of the urethra are connected to each other. This urethroplasty technique is about 90%-95% successful.
- The second method, if the length of the stenosis is too long, because there is no possibility of removing the stenosis, and the End to End urethroplasty can lead to a shortening of the length of the penis, is done using other tissues of the patient.
In this method, the stenosis of the urethra is opened along the length and then the other tissue, such as the oral mucosa (which is surgically removed), is placed on it, and sutured until to normalize the diameter of urethra.
4. Surgery for the repair of hypospadiasis: With open surgery on that part of the openings, the graft or flap (body tissue) is used to complete the urethra and the meatus reaches the tip of the penis and its natural location.